2006 R1200GSA (AKA “Trent”)

So, progress on the new (to me) Beemer. The 2006 R1200GSA that I acquired at an insurance auction last Thursday was picked up and towed to my storage space on Treasure Island on Monday. Battery was completely flat, and it was leaking oil from the left valve cover. But all in all I was very happy with my new acquisition. I was very happy when I received a call from SF BMW that my replacement keys had arrived. The bike did not come with any keys and since the keys have a transponder in it, they had to be ordered from BMW USA directly . I was not thrilled to be charged $190 for 2 keys, but without a key the GSA is nothing more than a REALLY BIG (albeit pretty) doorstop. So after picking up the keys from SFBMW I went to the Island to fiddle with my “new” GSA. After a bit of fiddling I managed to get the seat off and extract the battery. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the date on the BMW brand battery was 2/17. As per usual the beemer batteries are pretty hefty, but I was surprised that it was only 14ah. Hmmmm, I have a Shorai 18ah battery, that would save me like 10lbs right there.

Speaking of weight, I was actually pleasantly surprised that the GSA is not that unwieldy. I mean the thing looks like a frickin’ supertanker, but it is surprisingly easy to handle. Granted the 9 GALLON tank is nearly empty. 

I took the battery home and put it on the charger. The next morning it was fully charged! Woo hoo. After work I went and popped the battery in. Put the key in and turn. She started right up !! Woo hoo!!

71,177 miles on the ODO, so I couple more miles on her than I was expecting, but these engines are overbuilt and understressed so they last Forever ( my ’95 R11GS has 190k miles on her and is still running great!).

 

So I hopped on and rode her the 7 blocks over to MotoGuild to do an inspection, change the oil and possibly do the valves. Took the crash guards off so I could straighten them out later. Took the bash plate off and drained the 4 quarts of oil out of her. Oil looked good. Took the left side valve cover off. The cover bolts had a little bit of movement, hmm. Took the spark plug coil stick out, hmmm, that definitely looks like a crack. Cover off and looked on the inside, yup valve cover is definitely cracked. Oh well, valve covers are cheap to get on flea bay and CL. After a good hard eyeball check the head looks to be in good shape. With some good karma I should be able to get GSA registered and on the road next week 😀 

ktm won’t start…grrr

ger dang ktm woundn’t start

had spark, air filter looked ok.

drained the float bowl, gas a little bit yellow from age but not bad.

put fresh gas in and tried to start. nothing.

tried draining the float bowl again but nothing came out. gas not reaching the float bowl. Grrr, have to take out the carb.

 

float bowl needle cemented in

 

Working out the kinks

Gave it a good shakedown over the July 4th weekend. Slowly coming together. Unfortunately the front suspension is a MESS. I have been playing with the settings but I think a fork rebuild is in my near future.

Dialing in the TE610

So… Made it back from Yakima, Washington in one piece. The Husky had some issues but nothing major. I noticed that the caliper was shaking a bit and braking was wonky.  And running on full knobbies on the street was “special”. I decided to just slab it back in speed run and I was glad that I did.

 

My main motivator for that decision was that the tires might not make it, but once I actually got in the city my front brake seized at a stop light and wouldn’t let go. I had my tools so  I managed to get it loosened again and just used my rear brake to get me the 1/4 mile home. When changing the tires ( I went with Shinko 700, which is more street friendly while still aggressive enough for mild dirt) I

noticed that the front rotor was very visibly bent. Ordered some an EBC rotor. When it arrived I noticed that it was the exact same pattern as the OEM one, so I guess the stock is EBC. I rebuilt the caliper, though I reused the seals ( I’ll order and change them shortly). I also cleaned out the master. Getting the air out of the system was a PITA, but managed to do it finally by pushing fluid up from the caliper ( I tried bleeding it normally for about 45 minutes with not success, but the up from the caliper method had the air out in 5 min). The other gremlin that had me annoyed was the HID low beam would go out. I cleaned up the rather janky electrics behind the lights but it is still an issue. I have some new HID I can put in there but will try some LED lights to see if I like them. I am REALLY liking the bike, My KTM 625SXC is quicker and nimbler, but the Husky is closer to an everyday “KLR done right” that I have been looking for.